Frequently Asked Questions
Why People Seek Therapy
Examples of issues that might prompt someone to see me:
- I’m seen as the man/woman who “has it all”. It’s exhausting trying to hide how lonely I really am.
- I feel inferior to those around me, so I keep to myself and end up socially isolated. I don’t know how to find a partner.
- I have a great job, everyone at work looks up to me, and I make lots of money. So why does my partner always complain when I come home late? S/he’s always angry and never wants to have sex anymore.
- I’m seen as the laugh of the party. If only they knew I couldn’t get out of bed in the morning. It’s exhausting trying to keep up a front.
- My mother‐in‐law acts like she owns the place, yet my husband won’t confront her. It’s as though the two of them are married.
- I resent my spouse for having an affair, but I’m afraid to be alone. I drink to numb my anger.
- I’m considered an expert in my field, yet when I have to speak in front of others I sweat profusely and feel like a dork. I fear this will affect my promotion.
- I get so frustrated with my boss. It takes him/her forever to do the simplest thing. When I offer suggestions, s/he gets offended.
- I work really hard to take care of my family financially, yet my spouse complains that I’m always preoccupied. Why can’t s/he be more grateful?
- My spouse and her kids run the house. I’m seen as the intruder, and have no say in anything. I dread coming home each evening.
- I feel thwarted in my relationship. Sometimes at home I start eating and don’t stop until I feel I’m going to burst.
- I no longer feel sexually attracted to my partner.
- I put my profession on hold so I could raise my kids, but their demands are so incessant I can’t take it anymore. What’s wrong with me? I’m an intelligent person. I should be able to handle it.
- I spend lots of money on my dates, yet they never want to go out with me a second time. What am I doing wrong?
- My wife and our son are inseparable. They make decisions behind my back. What’s happened here?
- I fear I've outgrown my husband. He’s like a third child I have to take care of. I have no interest in him sexually anymore.
- My partner is depressed and refuses to get treatment. I don’t know how much longer I can stay with him/her. Also, this really hot person’s been flirting with me at work.
- I’m in a blended marriage and my partner always favors his/her own kids and my own kids resent this.
- I’m worried that I drink more than is good for me. I’m starting to worry it’s going to get me fired.
- My partner and I are always arguing about money/how to raise our kids/manage our in laws.